Friday, March 13, 2015

Mac & Cheese - Vegan, Gluten Free Style!

I've been eating what a friend referred to as "gourmet rabbit food." Lots of nuts, beans, and veggies. And sometimes I just want something creamy and decadent! I had good success with the vegan cream sauce, so I thought I'd give a vegan cheese sauce a try. I looked at a bunch of different recipes, many of which called for fake cheese. But we don't eat meat and cheese substitutes. Most are soy, and all are full of odd fillers. Yuck. This gluten free vegan mac & cheese has no crazy ingredients and is actually a nice sneaky way to feed your family vegetables if they aren't otherwise so keen on them.




Vegan Mac & "Cheese" 


3 medium carrots, sliced
1 onion, diced
2 large cloves garlic, minced
dash paprika
1 tsp dried yellow mustard powder
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup raw cashew pieces, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
salt

Cook your carrots in salted water (covered by about an inch) until tender. In a skillet over medium-low heat, saute onion in olive oil until soft. Add garlic, paprika, and mustard, cooking for about 30 seconds longer. Set aside. When carrots are tender, combine carrots and their cooking water, onion/garlic mixture, and cashews in a high powered blender until super smooth. You could probably do it in a food processor, but it won't be as smooth.

I served my sauce tossed with rice pasta spirals and roasted broccoli. Season with salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste.



No comments:

Post a Comment