Friday, October 3, 2014

No Yeast Wheat Bread

One of my kids has a sensitivity to yeast. Actually, I do, too. I can handle some, but if I eat much it leaves me feeling gross. Occasionally I succumb to the craving for a beautiful loaf of rustic yeast bread or a Vera Napoletana pizza from Marco's in Denver. I feel better without it though. Truthfully, I feel best without any wheat either, but almond flour and other sneaky gluten free baking ingredients elicit cries of protest from certain members of the household. 

This bread, however, is always a big hit. It has a light biscuit-like texture. You can use more wheat/less white flour, but it will be more dense. Still tasty, though. It is prepped in the food processor, cooked in a pan (I like an iron skillet for this), and can be on the table in an hour. One day I'm going to try to  make some rolls out of this dough, as I think it would work for that, too. I found the recipe here and have tweaked it just a bit for the altitude. If you are not at altitude, increase your baking powder by 1 tsp and your oven temp by 25 degrees.

No Yeast Wheat Bread


2 cups white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup, plus 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 cup water
dried herbs
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in bowl of food processor outfitted with dough blade. Pulse to blend. With processor running, pour in the olive oil and most of the water. The dough should come together into a ball. You may have to rearrange it a little to get it evenly moist. 

Spread about a tablespoon of olive oil into your iron skillet (or you could use a pie pan). Pat your dough out into the pan. It doesn't need to be perfect, just try to get it to the edges. Then I like to poke it all over with my fingertip, like you would a foccacia. Pour over the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil. Sprinkle with basil, oregano, garlic powder, onion, salt, and pepper.



Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 20 minutes more. If it's not brown on top, you can pop it under the broiler for a minute. Just keep a close watch so you don't burn it!




If you can control yourself, allow to cool before slicing. 



No comments:

Post a Comment